This Event is for the New Tuesday East Valley Lunch.
If you are planning on attend the Wednesday Lunch Please RSVP on that date.
TOPIC - Seeking Refuge: The Church’s Response to the Refugee Crisis
We can’t ignore the refugee crisis—arguably the greatest global issue of our time—but how do we even begin to respond to something so massive and complex?
We’ve seen images of suffering in Syria and heard about the sprawling refugee camps in Kenya. Our hearts are moved to compassion, especially in light of the Biblical call to love our neighbors and welcome the stranger.
However, in light of recent terrorist attacks and the growing threat of ISIS, many people are confused and afraid. This Surge Lunch will help us wrestle with the complexities of the Refugee Crisis and the practicalities of leading a church to engage with wisdom, a Biblical Worldview, and a commitment to Jesus’ love ethic.
We will ask questions like:
● Who are refugees and other displaced peoples?
● What is the experience of displacement and resettlement in America?
● What are the cultural, economic, and safety concerns involved in this issue and how do we approach them? What are tangible things we can do to address this global crisis?
● What are specific ways our churches can extend friendship and hospitality to those who are coming to America as refugees?
● How can the American church learn from our brothers and sisters who come to America as refugees?
● What does it look like to shape congregations that engage this issue with love rather than fear?
We are bringing in two highly respected speakers to speak about the situation:
Matthew Soerens is the US director of church mobilization for World Relief and the co-author of Seeking Refuge: On the Shores of the Global Refugee Crisis and Welcoming the Stranger.
Mark Glanville pastors at Grandview Calvary Church, Vancouver, and is completing a PhD in Old Testament ethics. Grandview has given birth to Kinbrace, a leading support provider for asylum claimants. Mark and his wife Erin are presently writing a book on church based refugee support.
These speakers, and additional panelists, will offer a nuanced and compelling portrayal of the plight of refugees and the extraordinary opportunity we have to love our neighbors as ourselves. We invite you to join us for the discussion.
Please RSVP so we can provide enough food. This RSVP is only for the Tuesday Lunch.
Do you want to receive email updates about Surge Lunch? Sign Up HERE